Monday, September 19, 2011

Cleansing Body and Psyche

Today's Monday the 19th day of September, and I'm going to embark on a three-day cleansing with my wife, Rebecca. She says mine only has to be two days, since I have a job interview on Weds., but I'm going to go all the way with it because jobs have impinged upon my health long enough. I'm in my early 40s, I can no longer be so cavalier with my intake, exercise, and sleeping patterns. (If I'm freaking out by then, however, of course I'll permit myself a coffee and a breakfast bar.)

What all does this entail? I'm not sure: I'm leaving it all up to my wife, who has clear direction and goals, and just following along. Would I have undergone a cleansing by myself? Maybe someday if I were really bored and feeling particularly flush, but probably not. Instead, left to my own devices, I probably would just double-down on healthful living, start exercising more, eat more fresh and raw veggies, cut down on meat--it was so interesting to live in Asian nations where meat is only a flavoring and not a dish or serving. My poops over there were like little report cards of passing grades for my GI tract. In the States and eating what Americans eat... it's much more depressing and sometimes alarming, and that was on top of rapidly regaining all the weight I'd lost by backpacking and eating stir-fried peppers and onions.

Right now I'm drinking hot water and squeezed lemon juice. I won't say "fresh" because, unless you live on a farm, subscribe to a CSA, you can't buy fresh food in the U.S. It's not available to you.

Anyway. Now starts the cleanse so maybe once a day I'll update how it's going here. Maybe less.

No comments: