Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Starting the Journey Out of the Country

Location: Highland, St Paul, MN, USA
I guess I should start updating this, since it's going to be my publicly accessible travel journal. Of course no one will see what I write in my plain black Moleskine, not even my own wife, and that will come in handy.

So, I guess it's Wednesday? We spent our first night out of the apartment last night, staying at Rebecca's sister's house. Deb and Tom went on vacation to Israel and we were in charge of watching their teenage son, so we're cashing in the favor chip and staying with them for four nights until we fly out of the country. It's really not equivalent: Rebecca and I are endlessly charming and attractive, and we don't produce horrible smells out of innocuous regions of our bodies. Our cats are staying here until my mom's house is open and ready to house them, which will be our final night in the States: we'll bring Toki and Bella down to Apple Valley, stay the night to help them get settled, and then 7pm the next day we will be off to San Francisco, the first of three legs of our journey.

Our old apartment's almost completely empty. Today we emptied the dining room, yesterday we cleared the office, bathroom, and bedroom. Huge piles of trash have gone out, huge boxes labeled "Solid Waste" are waiting to be carted off, and piles of furniture have been hauled to the curb with an accompanying "Curb Alert" message on Craigslist. We gave all this crap away for free: a loveseat, several bookcases, a few computer desks and chairs, carpets and rugs, all sorts of stuff. If we would've sold it, it would've been quite a bit of money, but right now we're extremely detached from physical possessions and only too eager to give to people the property they think they want, property that otherwise would go to the landfill, I guess.

We sold the car yesterday. I didn't think it would go so quickly, but Rebecca's gearhead friend insisted a '99 Camry with 47K miles would move pretty swiftly. In fact, several people called and texted at the same time, and two people showed up yesterday morning. We sold it to the first people who showed up, even though the second guy arrived with $5,500 in cash. That's how in demand this vehicle was. Wow! But at least that's done.

Friday evening's the going-away party for friends. Saturday the buyers will pick up the car. Sunday we are doing nothing not family-related and camping out at the airport. Further bulletins as events warrant.

No comments: