Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Day Before

Now it's a matter of mere hours: in 18 hours, we will be boarding the plane to San Francisco, and anything we've failed to wrap up in the States will have to stand, wither, or find us. We've finally and absolutely sold the Camry to a very nice couple, and the last of our property left the apartment last night. We had a going-away party (Reb posted it on Facebook, I posted it on my favorite BBS) at Nye's Polonaise Lounge yesterday evening, and we were delighted with, surprised by, and touched by the volume of attendance. I certainly felt loved at the end of the night, and I'm glad I didn't just slip out of the country with a few curt farewells transmitted electronically and in general.

We had a nice breakfast with our former landlord and current friend, Phil, and settled up with him: we received our apartment deposit and had brunch at Cafeteria in Uptown. He ordered the Night Train Chicken and Waffles to satiate both of our curiosities--the super-cute waitress assured us it was delicious, and it was so. Now we're back at Rebecca's sister's house, getting our bags repacked, preparing the boxes of materiel to be mailed to us in Korea once we have a mailing address, doing laundry, separating the storage items from the donation items from the trash.

Sorry if my writing is wandering all over the place. My thoughts are scattered and I'm deeply nervous about getting everything done. So much so that I was unable to consume even half of my breakfast and had to focus on keeping everything in my stomach. I know for a fact that we will be on that plane tomorrow evening, no matter what, but I have a burning, urgent sense to complete as many tasks as possible, tie up all my loose ends, before we head out. Rebecca has the most work to do, reorganizing her property as well as all the abstract, financial, technical records she keeps track of. I used to do this for myself before I lived with her, but I guess I didn't show enough initiative in getting my hands in that kind of accounting because the poor girl is in charge of it entirely, which means she's also in charge of remembering who has our address, who will send us stuff, who expects money from us, etc. That's one thing I'll have to change when we start over in the States again, years from now. There are a lot of things I'll change about myself when we return.

But I'm just nervous now. I'm writing to hopefully get my thoughts in order or provide some short-term direction, or at least to vent the stress building up in me. So badly, I want to help out and receive a to-do list of things I can systematically knock out. That's what I'm best at. There is no such list, however, and the most immediate things are matters only Rebecca can manage. I'm trying to pick her brain for busywork I could accomplish that might be helpful in some small way, a game of degrees and percentages, hedging the odds, and like that.

The future posts will be more interesting. I'm e-mailing this to my blog to see how the formatting will turn out, though there really can't be a situation in which I can only send out e-mail and not access my blog proper.

Listen to me, I'm babbling.

No comments: