Sunday, July 25, 2010

Art for Esteem's Sake

People often (read: never) ask me, "Hey XN, how do you feel about Eric Clapton?"

I don't like him, and that's because in many cases I have difficulty separating the artist from the art. I won't listen to Skrewdriver because they're white supremacists. I don't like Bing Crosby because he kicked his gay son out of his house. I'm opposed to Michael Jackson not just because he cashed in on his status to earn little boys to have sex with, but because he was a pop artist--I hate it when people do things not for any artistic integrity but solely for the purpose of becoming popular. And no, just because something's popular does not mean it's worth anything--look at The Hills and Jersey Shore.

As for Eric Clapton... well, I think my reworking of one of his classics will explain where I'm coming from.

(Sung to the tune of "Layla")


My vision's very short-sighted
Just want to fuck you once or twice
And when your life's destroyed and your future is bleak
You know I'll never be around

Layla
I want some sex with you
Layla
You're wed to someone else
Layla
Divorce him so that we can get off

1 comment:

Shanna (Crabbit) said...

Ahh, that's interesting, because I find it all too easy to keep the two separate. There is an exception, and that's if the artist's offensive (to me) views are directly displayed in their music.
I do happen to like Eric Clapton's music. Don't flog me.