Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thickening Up the Time

Not sure how the formatting will look: rarely do I e-mail my entries into this blog.

After four months of indolence, things have picked up both professionally and personally. I'm working as a proofreader/copy editor for Patterson Companies, focusing on branches of the medical industry that are relatively new to me. I like when that happens, I appreciate being educated in new disciplines. That's what's so fantastic about being a copy editor: you're compelled to constantly learn new things and shift your mind into a new context.

My evenings will be filling up as well. I'm no longer with the writers group: it seemed to drift apart as members stopped showing up, new members were shy or preoccupied, and I know I wasn't producing any new material. I don't know why I was able to produce a short story every day for nearly two months while I had a job, but when I was unemployed I couldn't generate one new idea and develop it into a story. Maybe the group would even still be together if I'd tried harder. This experience shows me I'm not ready for a writers group, currently.

As for the busy evening schedule, Mondays I'll be tutoring ESL students at CLUES, Thursdays at Holy Rosary. After attending the pre-training sessions with Minnesota Literacy Council, it's up to me to get some practical experience in this field. Aside from that, once a week I'll be training to gain certification as a Streetcar Operator: I simply wanted to find a schedule of when the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line was running, but I found an invitation to learn how to run these beautiful machines, and there was no way for me to resist. You know? As long as I'm living here, I have a free evening, and the training's free, why not? Why not do something as awesome as operating a trolley during these beautiful summer evenings?

One might say, "Well, at least your Fridays are open." That's true: Fridays are designated date nights with Rebecca, and nothing gets in the way of that. We can go out and see live music, or we can stay home and watch movies, but whatever I do--especially now, as the rest of my week becomes occupied--I need this time to focus on my beautiful and clever wife.

BENE VALE,
Christian

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

No comments: