Monday, February 15, 2010

The Man Who Loves His Job...

This picture is the stream of sunlight coming through the sky light to the cement floor of my former workplace, Modern Climate.

Everything about this place was to my favor. Granted, I was only contracted to work there, so I didn't have a taste of all the benefits, but far and away it was the best job I've had in my life. They hired an HR company to look for freelance editors, and that company found me through my profile on Monster.com. That's what cracks me up: my getting this assignment broke all the rules of job searching. You're supposed to network, but I got the gig through someone finding me on Monster. No one's ever hired at the end of the year, but I interviewed just before Christmas and just before the New Year, landing the position and starting work near the end of January.

It was Wolfmotell then and situated close to the Warehouse District of Downtown West, Minneapolis. In July they became Modern Climate and moved to the top two floors in the building across from the State Theater, kitty-corner from the former Shinder's. I was their proofreader/copyeditor throughout, though toward the end of my contract I started to explore copywriting and can list that on my résumé now. They also included me in a couple brainstorming and creative sessions, which surprised and delighted me. I appreciated that I was valued for my skills and interests that don't fit neatly on any résumé--though they probably would for a hip and rising marketing/branding firm.

We dressed in casual clothes, there were pinball machines in the office and a Wii in the break area. The admin were conversational with the employees at every level, and there were several social events the employees ran with each other. I'm willing to accept that my experiences were somewhat limited and rose-tinted, but that's not bad. It's not bad at all that I had a fantastic year working with astonishingly talented and creative people, and that I was getting paid to correct typographical errors, tighten up technique and usage. That was one excellent year for me, and I realize it'll be highly unlikely I'll ever find anything that ideal again. I knew that when I was in the middle of it, and I'm grateful for having been involved at all.

4 comments:

jsexe said...

You speak the truth brotha.

jmoberg said...

Thank you so very much for such kind words, you are sorely missed. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the near future.

That means you too Sexe!

Christian said...

jsexe: Awesome, glad your experiences were in line with mine. Wouldn't want to think it was just me, stumbling around in a blissed-out haze.

jmoberg: Pleasant surprise to see you here! I was going through old photos and found some shots that reminded me of being impressed with the new office, thought I'd write a little about it.

Best of luck to you both.

biondisign said...

With you attitude and talents you will find job bliss again Christian. What a nice post.