Friday, December 4, 2009

Why So Many Crows?

A few days ago I came home from work and Rebecca came in the door scant minutes after I got settled down.

"Are you afraid of crows?" she asked me. When I told her I wasn't, she further asked whether I wanted to see something cool. As a general rule, I always want to see something cool.

I got bundled up again and we went out, walking down 36th St and up King's Highway, and along the way she indicated the cemetery.

Sections of lawn were covered in crows. Whenever I pulled out my camera, they either took to the trees or fled for undocumented areas of the property. If they were in trees, similarly, they took off and ruined my shots.

If I knew more about botany and the lifestyle of crows, I could've guessed what was attracting them. As it was, knowing nothing of these, I only noted that they were congregating under the coniferous trees in the area, pecking at the ground. I didn't know exactly what kind of trees they were but guessed they were dropping something that crows liked to eat, maybe some kind of seed or even a breed of insect that favor those trees but were disabled by the low temperature and fell to the lawn. That's kind of a stretch, but I was just brainstorming.

No comments: