Monday, November 9, 2009

Movember


I'm participating in a health awareness campaign called "Movember."  What this means is: in order to direct awareness to the matter of men's cancer, I'm growing a moustache for the month of November.  Here's my profile page on the site.

Why am I doing this?  There are a few reasons.

Obviously, any life-threatening medical concern deserves to have attention paid to it.  Donations are what we're after, and I hope that by subjugating my vanity for a month people will understand my level of commitment to this cause.

It's also a useful opportunity to get over myself, an important lesson in self-improvement.  I would never grow a moustache to look good or portray an image, with my negative connotation with moustaches.  They look good on some people but not me.  It's worthwhile to do something that makes me look and feel awkward, so I can focus on my inner strength and detach myself from my physical constraints.

Lastly, a few of my coworkers are joined together on a team for this cause and I thought I would show support.  Building unity and cohesiveness can't be bad.

No comments: