Monday, October 26, 2009

Thums Up!

I went up to Kabob's Indian Buffet for lunch again today. They heap a plate with as much food as it will hold, for only five dollars. It's a delicious blend of northern and southern Indian cuisines that I find very tasty--I end up wolfing it all down and regretting not taking my time with it, savoring each bite instead of licking my chops at the memories. Today I forced myself to eat slower, though, so that was better.

They had this soda, Thums [sic] Up, a product of Coca-Cola. Whoa, that was unexpected. Did they buy a present brand name, or did they seriously start up a company with a purposeful typo in the name? Or is "Thums" actually a person's name, and the brand is just a tribute to him/her? That last option would be the most desirable and the most excusable. Buying a misspelled company and failing to correct it is not permissible in my book, though I know no one's in the market for anything I write.

Anyway, my main Web site, Heavy Boots, is coming up for renewal again. For several years I've run this goofy-assed homepage with a random assortment of content. I gave up all delusions of structuring it and updating it regularly long ago. So why am I doing it? We are a full decade past the time when personalized goth Web sites were cool--all the goths were doing it, coming up with goofy names for themselves, buying domain names, making friends with people who knew Flash--and Heavy Boots doesn't represent anything in my life anymore. The boots the site was named after, in fact, have long since been retired/discarded. All my dreams for the Web site occurred long before I had access to the technology that could realize them, and now those dreams are stupid and embarrassing, like a tattoo gotten in one's second year of college.

What should I do with the domain name? Is anyone really going to be disappointed if I let it go? Is there any kind of market segment I stand to alienate? I find it incredibly hard to think so: if they exist, then they deserve to be disappointed because I have attracted the quietest, most unresponsive readership in the world.

I think I'll just let the reminders die off, let my URL degrade back to its original Google Sites format, and only give a rat's ass about my personal branding. Oh man, I bought a domain name for this place, didn't I? Sweven Volant, the irresistibly sticky name that draws people intuitively inward. And yet I'm pouring no energy into my "professional" site at CWFredrickson.org. How insane is that? The one responsible place that...

Well, that's why I'm not interested in it. Heavy Boots was a junk drawer for all sorts of crazy online stuff I collected, and my professional site is where I have to sit up straight and use an indoor voice for potential employers. I have to affect a very constrained, acceptable form of creativeness, whereas a lot of my candid online material could get me fired anywhere.

So I own Heavy Boots, Sweven Volant, and CWFredrickson. Who needs so many domain names? The third one is arguably necessary, but the first two? What purpose do they serve? They don't clear anything up. They don't even see a lot of traffic. I'm throwing money out the window with these vanity boondoggles. I think that'll stop.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

The Indian buffet sounds great--I'm envious. Also, kudos on your pro website--it looks nice.

I'm not sure if this will help you decide what to focus on and/or which websites to keep, but what I'm planning is to retire One New Thing on 31 December (after one year of writing weekly posts) and to focus on a new blog about frugality and/or living simply. I think one blog at a time is plenty, but maybe that's just me.

Christian said...

I've enjoyed Kabob's in their location south of Mpls. for a long time, but was surprised to learn there were actually three other restaurants plus this Skyway location. I'm always on the lookout for great Indian food at I really like this place.

As for the professional site: I keep meaning to write an entry on how to quickly set up a personal Web site using free online resources. The domain name isn't free, but $10/year is cheap.

kat said...

That's a flash back! We were in India in August & saw Thums Up everywhere & it cracks us up. Coke & Pepsi weren't allowed in India for many years so lots of small soda companies opened. Now that they are allowed they have bought up some of these better known local sodas

Christian said...

Cool, thanks for speaking up! I wondered what the deal was. And the bottle was pretty scuffed and buffed from its travel from India to Minnesota. The next thing I noticed about it was its thickness and density: a Thums Up bottle could devastate several of our puny American Coke bottles and knock out a large bodyguard before it was done fighting.