Saturday, September 5, 2009

Past Photos in Advance

I'm writing this entry in advance because, if all goes according to plan, my wife and I are hustling across the country to southern Iowa. It's a roadtrip for a roadtrip's sake, but it's also a prime opportunity for me to visit a small but significant landmark in my passion's topography.

I'm going to visit Pendemonium in Fort Madison, IA! A little stationery-hajj! I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, I've been digging around in my old folders of digital photography and found some interesting experimental shots. I must've been just wandering around my apartment with my crappy Nokia, taking pictures. But it's still possible to take good pictures with a crappy camera. There's the Holga, but I would even elevate the Holga above this Nokia phonecam, just because the Holga is such a specific effect, such a specific artistic tool. The phonecam... what can you do about that? It's supposed to be high technology, but with one megapixel to your name plus a share of lint that works its way under the lens and cannot be removed, you're just kinda up the creek for photography.

Yet, despite, you can capture or frame an image powerful enough to override the obstacles of the phonecam. I do not foresee that a school of art will flood the streets with crappy phonecams and challenge each other to produce the most amazing visual renderings with them, but I'm just saying. I did the best with what I could.

No comments: