Monday, September 14, 2009

Luxury T-Ride

I have something to confess: I'm way into this throwaway-looking early '90s metal band.


I was lucky enough to be introduced to their self-titled album by a friend in St. Cloud, when I was going to college and getting exposed to all sorts of radical ideas. T-Ride looks like just another hair band from 1992, I know.

But I love their album. I have no defense against it. It's great to kick back to and focus on, or it's great to have in the background. The harmonies are tight, Queen-like, and they go for tricky, hooky pop posturing. That's what makes it listenable.

In watching this video I finally learn why they did not succeed. On top of a bland look, the lead singer has absolutely no stage presence. He doesn't even look interested in lip-syncing his own lyrics in the video. He looks bored, and it looks like it was up to post-editing make everybody look more interesting than they were.

Still, they played with White Zombie and Joe Satriani. They get props for that, even if they drove themselves into obscurity. And their album is still listenable, almost two decades later.

No comments: