Saturday, September 19, 2009

Changes in Lumber Exchange

This is a photo I took several months ago in the Lumber Exchange Building, downtown Mpls. You walk northward in the Skyway from City Center, pass through the Phillips Building (I think that's what it's called) and enter the Lumber Exchange Bldg. Immediately you're presented with a carpeted walkway that goes forward, a recently installed wheelchair elevator on the left, and a roped-off staircase on the right that leads up to another area... I've never been up there, I can't talk about it.

This photo was interesting to me because it's obvious something's going on behind that wall. The wall wasn't part of the original construction--someone threw up a few panels to block off the top of the staircase and ended up trapping one of the ceiling lights.

Except that's changed. The scene in this photo doesn't exist anymore: that staircase and alcove have been walled off and the walk-through area is much, much smaller now. I don't know what the plans are for that area but it's interesting that someone decided it should be sequestered away. Maybe later I'll get a shot of what it looks like now.

No point to this post other than to indicate the constant state of change Minneapolis undergoes. If you stay home for half a year and go out, chances are there will be a lot you don't recognize wherever you go.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: