Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Researching Ghost Stories

Oh, this is fantastic: Google Books has functions hidden within it that I've yet to avail myself. Here is one, the "Clip" function, whereby I can highlight an interesting passage of whatever I'm reading and post it here.

This, from Sheridan Le Fanu's The Ghost and the Bone-Setter, coupled with another overheard cemetery tradition in which the first person buried has a lamp engraved in their tombstone and must forever after serve as guardian of the graveyard, make for a very interesting brace of traditions!

I'm reading about this because there are some short story contests coming up, and at least one of them requires a traditional ghost story. I've never written any sort of ghost story before, aside from transcribing a nightmare, so this is going to prove a novel challenge to my custom.

No comments: