Sunday, May 17, 2009

International Pen Pals

Okay, so, lately I've been very restless to communicate. All last week I've been writing out a stack of postcards to most of the addresses in my address book, knowing full well I'll hear from maybe five of these people by the end of the month. I don't care, I've got to write and post this stuff in the mail.

This wasn't enough, so I tried a couple pen pal programs on Facebook, one being dedicated to postcard exchanges for people around the world who collect international postcards, and one for pen pals, where you just casually post an interest to write to people and maybe in a month someone might see your name.

From the two mentioned programs (Postcard and Penpals) I've made contacts in Japan, Malaysia, Slovenia, Italy, Singapore, Sweden, Turkey, and Germany. I've sent postcards out to these contacts... and my thirst is not slaked.

My German contact turned me on to Postcrossing, and I see my Italian friend is already using it. If you're paranoid, the whole deal sounds dicey: you put in your street address and any random person on the program can receive it in order to send a postcard to you. On the more optimistic side, I hope to receive a lot of postcards from all over the world. Tonight I'm writing to a woman in Finland: she's into paper dolls and miniatures, so I cut out some paper doll patterns and pasted them onto a regulation-size card to post.

I'm excited! I have a burning curiosity about the rest of the world, and I want to strike up some conversations. Gods know I can hardly get any of my Stateside friends to pick up a pen, and yet people in other nations (for whom postage is considerably more expensive) are totally on board with this.

1 comment:

BATTLEFINCH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.