Thursday, April 30, 2009

Graduation

It's been an eventful set of days.

This weekend we flew down to visit my brother in New Orleans and see the Jazz & Heritage Festival. Monday and Tuesday I suffered a sore throat, and yesterday I called in sick to work. Tonight I graduated from college, with honors, and have to update all my online profiles to reflect a Bachelor's in Creative Writing.

I did it. It's been 18 grueling, on-and-off years, but I finally got my four-year degree. I'm a little embarrassed about my slackitude, but more than that I'm ecstatic about achieving this landmark event and I don't consider it over: my sister and I have announced an informal race to our Master's degree.

I got to sit with my friends during the ceremony, so I was surrounded by writers I've respected and enjoyed these past few years. We riffed on the ceremony, joked around with each other, knowing full well anything we said or did was ripe material for written projects. And I think my dream-team for a writers' group is beginning to foment. We'll see. I just don't want to stop writing, and a group of writers I respect and feel mildly competitive with would spur me on.

This is a bigger night for me than I had imagined. I was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, didn't care to arrange a party because I didn't imagine anyone else was interested, and there was no precedent for it. I blew off my A.A. degree, and was surprised to learn that a group of friends had shown up for the ceremony in anticipation of cheering me on. I had no idea. I reluctantly agreed to do the cap-and-gown thing for this one and I'm glad I did. It really meant something to me and even though it's been 18 long years (I started college as soon as I got out of active duty Army in 1991), it's finally done.

The Bachelor's is done, anyway. There's more to go.

2 comments:

ilexcassine said...

Congratulations!

Christian said...

Thank you kindly!