Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Writing is Much Harder

Final post in the set of experiments: this post is written via Google Chrome.  I like this browser for its speed, but if I leave a Yahoo Mail open in a tab for too long, neglected, eventually it times out and doesn't let me read any e-mail.  I have to open a new browser entirely to read it.  After that I like Firefox except that it seems to take up more memory the longer you use it, per session.  Then Safari because it's fast, but it's uncooperative with tabs and doesn't seem to have much in the way of customization options.  I don't like IE at all and actually hate it: it's slow, clunky, takes up too much window space (Chrome and Firefox can minimize to one thin bar of tools, leaving a nearly complete window of browser viewing), and I resent that it seems to be the only browser some Web sites will allow, like viewing streaming movies over Netflix.  There's nothing wrong with building a browser that works quicker with all Web sites; it is very wrong to design a Web site to not work with certain browsers.

Anyway.  Mainly the difference I notice between these four posts in four browsers is the extra space with the carriage return.  I don't know why one browser would default an extra line in there.  I thought maybe certain browsers also screw around with the display font but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have no interest in trying this out in Opera.  I hate Opera almost as much as IE.  Opera is no option at all, unless you're striving for inconvenience.  Similarly, there's no point trying this out in Netscape or Magellan.

Now that that's done, on with the blog.

I'm well into Wolfe's Soldier of Sidon.  I'm enjoying it greatly, of course.  I'm going to be very upset when this genius is no longer producing material in this world.  It will be a tremendous loss that most people are too small-minded to appreciate.  The Bachelor can last for years and 90210 can make a comeback, and real vision withers and dies on the vine, neglected.

I'm glad I took the time to write to him.  I prize his response and show off his autographed book to anyone who cares.  I have a picture of him and Neil Gaiman for my wallpaper (took a small photo and enlarged it through an amazingly faithful Web-based graphic scaling program I can't seem to find anymore, but it's better than Photoshop and free) to stare at me when I logon to goof around.  Their gaze truly shames me.  Gaiman himself told me to learn a trade if I wasn't compelled to write all the time, because "writers write."  If I'm not writing, I'm not a writer, and I'm ashamed of what these last five months have proven about me.

But I'm not a failure in all things.  I worked out for half an hour with Wii Fit and then set DDR to burn 50 calories.  I had a reasonable breakfast and am now snacking on whey protein in rice milk and a banana.

But the rest of the day must be spent writing.

5 comments:

Bexley said...

I was upset when Soldier of Sidon came out, as I own Mist and Arete in matching formats, and Sidon, being printed ~20 years after Arete, doesn't match the first two on my shelf. This is nearly as upsetting as the fact that the fourth BotNS, in it's original printing, is exactly the same in size and typography as the first three, but is blue instead of white.

(I have not yet read any of the Soldier books, so don't ruin anything for me.)

Christian said...

I wondered why the first two library books matched each other, and the third was a different style entirely. With illustrations, even, after a fashion.

I've thought about adopting Latro's expository style for this blog but I would have to write here much more frequently than I do.

Bexley said...

Yeah, I don't believe it was intended to be a trilogy from the outset. I think I'd read that he had gotten an idea for a third and decided to go for it. Not that unusual, though- BotNS was supposed to be a stand alone trilogy, got expanded to four when the third book ended up twice as long as the other books, then got a sequel and two further series set in the same universe. Any other author, and I'd accuse him of milking a success.

Bexley said...

Er, that should read, "got an idea for a third much much later"

Bexley said...

Oh, and:

http://www.nebulaawards.com/index.php/interview/gene_wolfe