Friday, December 5, 2008

It's Been a Busy Couple-a Days

It's 9:06 AM as I write this.  I've fired up Wii Fit and made a bowl of Cream of Wheat.  Bella's napping on the orange couch behind me in the sunroom, and Toki... who knows.  Probably phased to a parallel plane of existence and will rematerialize between my ankles while I'm running somewhere or carrying something large and fragile.  My phone's charging and I've successfully reinstalled iTunes (which necessitated finding a copy of Windows Installer Clean Up to delete the old copy of iTunes, which has never received and accepted updates properly, on either of my computers).

I've copied the soundtrack to Kung Fu Hustle (which Rebecca thoughtfully procured for me!) and am listening to the soundtrack to the online game Gate to Heavens.  I don't have a link to this MMO on my desktop so I'm guessing I downloaded the game, tried it out, hated it for some reason but salvaged the MP3 folder from it before deleting it.  There could be some other reason behind it, I'm just not going to spend any more energy on it.  I do love video game soundtracks, by the way.  My favorite was Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst.  I loved the environment and the music, but I only got to experience it during its free demo stage.  The gameplay is actually kind of crappy and uninteresting, I'm not going to waste any money on it... though I did love being in that world.

I've updated my blog in Writer's Market and will research something to post in Salon.  I checked out Google Analytics on my professional Web site and found some spikes in activity--I hope this is actual unique visitation, and not just a series of blips every time I update my own site.  I have been applying for various writer positions so it's reasonable to assume that the people taking my applications are checking out my site.  I wonder if there's something on there that is scaring them off: I can't get an employer to respond to me for love or money.  Yesterday I applied for an internship with an outdoors magazine to the west of my city, as well as a position as a humor blogger for a Chelsea men's magazine.  I probably won't hear back from them: few Brits could allow any American to be nearly as funny as they.  If it weren't for Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert, Sarah Silverman, Conan O'Brien, or the Coen brothers, I might agree with them.  Oh, and Mitch Hedburg, Dmitri Martin, Eugene Mirman, Maria Bamford, and Boondocks, of course.  See? We've got a little Humor Corps goin' on.

Does it bother anyone that I try to blog in line with the Chicago Manual of Style?  I guess it only really shows up in serial commas.  I haven't studied online style though I've requested Web styleguides in the past... I can't find the one I was looking for, and now a few more crappy styleguides have cropped up to haze the environment.  I'm sure no one cares.

I had a great time at the scotch tasting with Hedge last night.  The Glenrothes 1991 was new to me but apparently she knows it and loves it, and it did not disappoint.  That's a drink I would be social over, but it's the Dalwhinnie 15-year that I would serve with a dessert, which is important because a very peaty scotch doesn't seem to go well with cookies or pie or anything.  Oh, Fiona (the Whisky Wench) served some Christmas pudding, as well as her homemade shortbread, and it was very delicious and totally gave me to see how the Dalwhinnie would go with it.  And finally we won one of the raffles: a black ball-point pen marked "Stoli."  Huh.

And I had a good long talk with a friend who generally prefers her anonymity, so I'll just say I feel much better now.

Bella's now curled up in my lap and purring as loud as she can (which isn't very).  I guess I'll be in my seat for a while, the Wii can wait, and I can update my blogs, look for more work.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Eugene Mirman and I worked in the same office about 10 years ago. He sat on the other side of my cubicle wall.

Christian said...

Kristen: Holy crap! Seriously? Did you talk with him? Was he very cool? What was he doing there?