Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cooking Despite Oneself

Holy crap, I totally figured out a way to make yams palatable.

I hate yams.  So why would I eat them?  I read somewhere that they're nutritionally dense, as nutritious (if not more) as bananas or pumpkins.  I'm all about better nutrition, so I've been looking for a way to work yams into my diet.  I figured I'd just force myself to eat them, the way we did with cilantro when I worked at Bravo Burritos.  The only way to enjoy that soapy herb was to force yourself to munch on it whenever you had the opportunity.

But!  Last night I tried cooking with this curry mix I got at United Noodles.  It's a solid block of curry and spices, you boil it in five cups of water and it creates a thick sauce.  The directions say to sautee some carrots, onions, and potatoes, but I didn't have any potatoes so I diced up some yam and threw the mix in there.

I couldn't taste the yam at all!  It went soft like tofu and, if anything, resembled the carrots in flavor!  And all that curry just slipped it under the radar!  This is an excellent excuse for me to learn how to make some great curry dishes, now.

No comments: